HCSS is hosting a session at the RE-AIM World Summit in the Hague on the 15th of February, 2023. HCSS director of research Dr. Tim Sweijs will be a speaker on one panel and moderate another during the breakout session on “Realities of Algorithmic Warfare: Use, Impact & Regulation.”
RE-AIM stands for Responsible Use of AI in the Military domain and this summit at the World Forum will bring together academics, policymakers, military strategists, and corporations from across the world to discuss the opportunities and threats of integrating AI and machine learning into contemporary warfare.
Together with its partners from the AutoNorms group, Peace Research Institute Oslo (PRIO), Intimacies of Remote Warfare, the War Studies Research Centre of the Netherlands Defence Academy, and Leiden University, HCSS will co-host the session Realities of Algorithmic Warfare. Concrete take-aways include a deeper understanding of how and where (semi) autonomous weapon systems are being experimented with and deployed today, how they are changing the character of warfare, at what cost to civilians and an exploration of political control and legal regulation possibilities to ensure responsible deployment and use.
- Dr. Ingvild Bode, Associate Professor, Center for War Studies, University of Southern Denmark
- Jessica Dorsey, Assistant Professor of International and European Law and Project Leader, Realities of Algorithmic Warfare, Utrecht University
- Dr. Lauren Gould, Assistant Professor Conflict Studies and Project Leader, Realities of Algorithmic Warfare, Utrecht University
- Dr. Marijn Hoijtink, Associate Professor in International Relations, University of Antwerp
- Dennis Jansen, M.A., PhD Candidate, Utrecht University
- Prof. Dr. Frans Osinga, Special Chair in War Studies, Leiden University and Professor of War Studies at the Netherlands Defence Academy
- Ms. Anna Nadibaidze, PhD Fellow, University of Southern Denmark
- Samar Abbas Nawaz, Doctoral Researcher, Peace Research Institute Oslo (PRIO)
- Dr. Tim Sweijs, Director of Research, The Hague Centre for Strategic Studies (HCSS)
- Dr. Tom F.A. Watts, Leverhulme Early Career Research Fellow, Royal Holloway, University of London
If you are interested in how AI is influencing the ways wars are fought today, then enroll for the RE-AIM summit here and join in on our debate.
If you are a student, you can enroll for a War Game that emulates the use of AI and Machine learning in war here.