Acknowledging the challenges and opportunities posed by artificial intelligence (AI) in the military-strategic realm, the GC REAIM has several core goals:
- Promoting mutual awareness and understanding among the many communities working on AI in the military domain, thereby supporting fundamental norm development and policy coherence in the field.
- Serving as an international forum for multi-stakeholder dialogue and the continuous investigation of new application areas and impacts of AI.
- Exploring and describing governance mechanisms that are considered necessary for the international community to work towards responsible design and use of AI in the military domain.
The GC will produce a strategic guidance report which identifies short and long-term recommendations for governments and the wider multi-stakeholder community on responsible AI in the military domain on:
- What the multi-stakeholder community understands by responsible AI in the military domain,
- The elements that need to be taken into account at every stage of the AI life-cycle, when designing, developing, producing, introducing, and using AI in the military domain in a responsible way,
- The governance mechanisms that could be set up to design, develop, and use AI in the military domain in a responsible way.