The Data Lab of The Hague Centre for Strategic Studies (HCSS) is offering an exciting vacancy to an aspiring data savvy monitor developer.
You will be working with our data scientists and analysts who build science-driven policy support tools and design and deliver them as monitors to the web. These monitors are based on data and intended to explain situations and dynamics on various topics like climate security, political instability, cyber and geo-economics.
The vacancy is an opportunity to collaborate in developing our production-grade solutions for policy support. Our beneficiaries include governments, industry, NGO’s as well as security providers, both domestic and global.
- A dynamic international working environment
- Important and often well known customers
- A beautiful working place in a monumental building in the centre of The Hague
- Possibilities to work from home
- Excellent coffee and weekly Friday drinks on our rooftop terrace
- Potential to grow and further develop skills and experience
Candidates should have a background in web development and design and have affinity for aesthetics. They should feel at ease interacting with businesspeople, policy wonks, and quants.
Some of the remaining requirements that can enhance the fit include:
- Handy with Shell, Docker, PaaS, and CI/CD
- Backend, data engineering and management competencies (e.g., PostgreSQL, Ontotext GraphDB, Vertica) are a big plus
- Fluency in English, both orally and in writing
- An affinity for policy research
Successful applicants will be asked to provide a certificate of good conduct (‘Verklaring Omtrent het Gedrag’), which is available from The Netherlands Ministry of Justice. Applicants residing outside of The Netherlands should provide a certificate from their country of residence.
To apply, send the following items to firstname.lastname@example.org using ‘monitor developer’ as the subject line:
- A resume, including a list of references
- A cover letter, thoroughly demonstrating why and how your web development and design skills can be applied to our monitors
- A portfolio of previous data projects, including the code (or a GitHub address).
The application should be in English or Dutch. HCSS only considers complete applications, and only if all the eligibility requirements are met.