The Data Lab of The Hague Centre for Strategic Studies is offering an exciting vacancy to an aspiring web developer. The vacancy is an opportunity to collaborate in developing our production-grade, data-driven policy systems, products, and solutions.
Applicants should have a background in web development and design and have a clear affinity for aesthetics. They should feel at ease interacting with businesspeople, policy wonks, and quants. Finally, they should also demonstrate a keen interest in the topics covered by HCSS policy research.
In assessing the fit, applicants can rely on the following requirements and nice-to-haves:
- A degree in computer science or a related field. Alternatively, professional certificates in software and/or web development, or a comparable professional experience;
- Very good communication skills in English, both orally and in writing;
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment;
- Strong work ethic and willingness to learn;
- An affinity for policy research;
- The ability to interpret data;
- First-principles thinking.
- Backend competencies (including management, modeling, and engineering of data, e.g., Vertica, PostgreSQL) are a big plus;
- Fluency in Shell, Powershell, Python, Java, Scala, C#, and/or C++;
- Machine learning competencies.
Successful applicants will be asked to provide a certificate of good conduct (‘Verklaring Omtrent het Gedrag’), which is available from the Netherlands Ministry of Justice. Applicants residing outside of the Netherlands should provide a certificate from their country of residence.
To apply, send the following items to email@example.com using ‘Web Development Vacancy, 2021’ as the subject line:
- A resume, including a list of references;
- A cover letter, thoroughly demonstrating why and how your web development and design skills can be applied to our monitoring applications;
- A portfolio of previous web development projects, including code samples and a GitHub address.
The application should be in English. HCSS only considers complete applications, and application can be favorably considered only if all the eligibility requirements are met.
The deadline for applications as Sunday, July 25th, 23:59.