Understanding the knowledge-policy nexus in a complex and uncertain world: Opportunities and challenges of the data deluge
Uniquely positioned to bridge the gap between fundamental research and consulting, Think Tanks are the true knowledge brokers. Accumulated across decades, sophisticated knowledge enables the established Think Tanks to explain complex policy developments and forecast future social, political, and economic trends. Transfer of this knowledge makes such Thinks Tanks an invaluable partner to policymakers, corporations, and civil society organizations. However, the data deluge challenges the way Think Tanks achieve their raison d’être. In this webinar, The Hague Centre for Strategic Studies (HCSS) and TMC Asser Institute join forces to discuss the benefits of data-driven methods and tools, the ethical and legal challenges associated with their use, and what it takes to have the Think Tank of tomorrow today. How can young people interested in policy analysis and data analytics prepare themselves for a career in this fast changing field?
This Webinar will be streamed online via Zoom; to register, click here.
- 15:30–15:35: Welcome remarks by:
- 15:35-15:55: Navigating the space between analysis and analytics: Presentation of the Cyber Norms Observatory
- Paul Verhagen MSc (Data Scientist, HCSS)
- 15:55-16:10: The Use of Big Data by Think Tanks: Ethical and Legal Challenges
- Rebecca Mignot-Mahdavi LL.M (Researcher, T.M.C. Asser Instituut)
- 16:10–16:25: Moderated discussion and interactive Q&A with participants
- 16:25–16:30: Closing remarks
For additional information on the subject, read Rebecca Mignot-Mahdavi’s blog “Using big data for research and policy analysis: how to deal with legal and ethical concerns?”, which you can find on the TMC Asser Institute website here.