The HCSS PR, Marketing & Communications internship offers a dynamic position in an international organization, where you will work on different topics such as global trends, international security, cyber security and resource scarcity. This is not your run-of-the-mill ‘get coffee and copy some papers’ internship: at HCSS you will experience what it’s like to be part of a small team of professionals in a fast paced environment. As a PR intern you actively contribute to developing and executing communication strategies for HCSS activities, projects, publications and other products.
The PR & Communication internship is currently filled, but we will except new applications from August 2021.
Responsibilities include, amongst others:
- creating and drafting social media content;
- updating and maintaining the social media channels (twitter, facebook, linkedin, etc);
- proofreading articles, papers, (powerpoint) presentations and reports, and formatting into our housestyle;
- drafting of press briefings and newsletters;
- supporting HCSS media monitoring;
- recording and editing podcasts;
- updating and maintaining the website through our CMS;
- help with organizing and logistics of events, such as seminars, conferences, roundtables and expert meetings;
- designing banners and other visuals for promotional purposes.
Candidates should have/are:
- an excellent verbal and written command of English; fluency in Dutch is highly desirable. HCSS is an internationally oriented thinktank, however, much of our communication is still conducted in Dutch;
- in pursuit of a degree in journalism, communications, political science, international relations or similar;
- a proven interest in the field of geopolitics and (international) security, and in communication and PR;
- experience with multimedia, social media and/or audio/visual tools and programs is highly desirable (canva, photoshop, tweetdeck, buffer, audacity, mailchimp, wordpress, drupal, soundcloud, etc).
We are looking for creative and proactive personalities with a hands-on mentality; due to tight deadlines, the pace is often high. You will be guided by the Communications Department and our analysts, but you will also get your fair share of responsibilities and freedom. We are an innovative company and therefore always open to new ideas.
- Candidates must be enrolled as a student during the entire duration of the internship. Without a proof of enrollment, valid for the entire duration of the internship, you are not eligible and your application will not be considered.
- An internship period of six months is highly preferred, although shorter periods can be discussed. Please indicate your availability in your cover letter.
- Interns should be able to commit to working 40 hours a week.
- Successful candidates are asked to provide a certificate of good conduct (‘Verklaring Omtrent het Gedrag’) by the Dutch Ministry of Justice and proof of enrollment valid for the entire duration of the internship. Candidates residing outside of the Netherlands should provide a certificate from their country of residence.
The HCSS internship is paid.
In the interest of the successful candidate’s learning trajectory, the internship will be carried out at the HCSS office in The Hague, insofar as this is feasible given the current travel restrictions related to COVID-19. Potential working arrangements can be discussed during the interview process.
For more information please contact the Communications Office, at 070-318 4840